Below are answers to many frequently asked questions. Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information.
How should I prepare for my Smart Bronze tan?
Great question – and one that is going to help you achieve your best tan possible!
- Shave and Exfoliate well 24 hours prior to your tan (or as close to this as possible). Do not shave or exfoliate immediately before your tan. The spray tan solution reacts with amino acids on your skin, and if you exfoliate or shave immediately before your session, there are no amino acids for it to work with.
- Do not have lotion or oily residue on your skin the day of your tan. Remove makeup and deodorants prior to your tan.
- Make sure to get manicures, pedicures, or spa treatments 24 hours prior to your appointment, and arrive for your tan without any oily residue or lotion on your skin.
- Bring your swimsuit, underwear, or other garments to wear during your session. Females can wear as much or as little as they'd like, but we do require our male customers to wear full coverage bottoms.
- Be sure to bring loose fitting, darker colored clothing and flip-flops to wear after your session. Tight clothing can rub off the bronzer and create streaking.
- DO NOT GET WET for at least 8 hours after your appointment. You must not SWEAT, SHOWER, GET RAINED ON, or SWIM. If you get wet, it can halt the DHA development process and cause streaking. We recommend not showering for 10-12 hours for best results.
- Unless we spray you with one of our clear formulas, you will notice 'brown' running down the drain during your first shower. This is normal...it is the cosmetic "instant bronze" color washing away as it is designed to do, leaving you with a beautiful bronze glow underneath!
- While you have a spray tan, it is very important that you use a sulfate-free soap or body wash. This means Dove, Safeguard, and most anything you’d buy at the grocery store are off limits – they’ll strip your tan! Our pH balancing cleanser is sulfate free if you’d like to purchase it.
- Be sure to MOISTURIZE after your first shower! The key to a beautiful, long lasting tan is super-moist skin. We carry a great selection of tan extending moisturizers and can recommend a product specifically for your skin type.
What should I wear to my appointment?
What is most important is that you feel comfortable during your service. For some that means they wear nothing at all, while others prefer to wear a swimsuit, underwear or other garment. Know that we have seen it all, and that we are looking at your body for spray patterns, not ever analyzing it or being judgmental. We are clients of Smart Bronze too – so we treat you with the respect we would want in what could be perceived as a vulnerable position.
Many female clients chose to wear only a small pair of panties to minimize tan lines.
Male clients MUST wear a dark color swimsuit, shorts or full coverage briefs.
Be sure to wear dark colors, as the initial cosmetic bronzer may rub off onto clothing; however, it will easily wash out of most clothing (with the exception of nylon, spandex and silk).
At your appointment, wear loose fitting clothing that does not rub on skin or fit tight to the body. Please wear flip flops or similar shoes to minimize rubbing on the feet post-Sunless Tan application.
How long will my Smart Bronze appointment last?
To create a fun and stress-free appointment experience for yourself, please plan to dedicate a total of 30 minutes for your first appointment. Subsequent appointments will require less time, typically 15 to 20 minutes.
Does it have a bad smell?
Our carefully curated and high-end Sunless Tan Solutions are formulated with a wonderful smell, making them unlike most other sunless tanning methods.
How long will my Smart Bronze tan last?
Much like a fingerprint, each person’s skin is unique. Many factors influence the length of time a tan may last. Given the science of how a Sunless Tan works, which is on the top layer of skin only, ALL sunless tans (no matter what anyone else may try to falsely sell you) typically last an average of 7 days. For maximum staying power, and to replace color as the skin exfoliates, we recommend you purchase our Tan Extending Lotion. To maintain your tan year-round, inquire about our array of Monthly Airbrush Tanning Memberships.
What if I do not tan in the sun, will I still be able to achieve a Sunless Tan?
Never fear, the answer to your prayers to the sun gods is here! At Smart Bronze, we are able to personalize our tanning formulations to work seamlessly with your specific skin tone. This will ensure a healthy glow and prevent anything artificial-looking on even the fairest of skin colors.
Do I need to wear sunscreen after a Smart Bronze tan?
Yes. A Smart Bronze Tan is only a cosmetic tan and contains no SPF protection. To protect your sunless tan, we recommend using an oil-free sunscreen.
Is a Smart Bronze tan safe?
A Smart Bronze Tan is extremely safe. Sunless tanning works only on the outer layer of the skin, using a colorless sugar referred to as DHA (fancy science – dihydroxyacetone). DHA reacts with the amino acids and oxygen found in the skin to transform the top layer into a golden bronze color. DHA has been approved by the FDA for use in the cosmetic and sunless tanning industry for years. In an enhanced effort to ensure the safest environment, Smart Bronze utilizes state-of-the-art spray equipment eliminating most overspray or what some refer to as the “cloud” they have experienced in other spray booths.
What is a Smart Bronze Airbrush Tan?
A Smart Bronze Airbrush Tan makes all other sunless tans pale in comparison. UV-Free and customized to complement each client’s skin tone and desired results, a Smart Bronze Airbrush Tan is sprayed by hand by one of our talented Tanning Technicians. Because it is artfully applied by an individual artist, and not a booth or machine, the results are natural-looking and unrivaled.